An Introduction to the Cultural Heritage of Kerala
Certificate courses are designed to bridge the gap between different phases of academic study, or to provide additional professional training and qualifications. The courses provide students an added dimension to their undergraduate and postgraduate degree by exposing them to professional settings. The purpose of the certificate course is to provide students with theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge in specific areas. Upon completion, students will get benefit out of a certificate course that will accompany their degree and illustrate their added knowledge, skills, and experience to potential employers and institutions.
Certificate programme in History is designed with 30 instructional hours. It includes Lecture hours and practical hours. On completion certificates are issued by college or outside agencies in collaboration with college.
- Will gain additional skill in a particular area.
- Will equip the student with an additional qualification.
- Will enhance demand in the job market.
Cultural/ Heritage studies have always been an attraction, both for the nationalists as well as tourists. Culture/ Cultural products / Cultural Heritage are the most acclaimed aspects of the age. In the modern era, with the development of Tourism, emphasis on culture has enhanced. So it is imperative to introduce the rich cultural heritage of Kerala to the students of Tourism and Hospitality Management with the following objectives:
- To have a better understanding of the land and its people.
- To have a minimal level of understanding about the cultural past of their motherland as well as their locality.
- To gain basic information about the cultural traits of Kerala.
- To obtain general awareness about the heritage sites and historical monuments of Kerala.
- To explore the locality so to understand the historical significance of the place.
Module I: (5hrs)
Kerala – Land and its People
- Different Communities
Module II: (8hrs)
Cultural Traits of Kerala
- Arts - Kathakali, Tullal, Margam Kali, Oppana, Duffmutt, Chavittunatakam, Kalari, Kolkali
- Folk Arts - Teyyam, Thira, Thookkam
- Architecture - Temple, Church, Mosque; Nalukettu, Koothambalam;
- Festivals - Pooram, Onam
Module III: (12hrs)
Heritage Sites and Monuments in Kerala
- Edakkal caves
- Padmanabhapuram palace
- Hill palace
- Jewish Synagogue
- Bakel Fort
- Poonjar Palace
- Krishnapuram palace
Module IV: (5hrs)
- Visit to Ramapuram
- A. Sreedhara Menon : A survey of Kerala History, D.C Books, 2008
- Raghava Varrier & Rajan Gurukkal :Kerala Charithram, Vol.1, Vallathol Vidyapeedam, 2012
- Raghava Varrier & Rajan Gurukkal : Cultural History of Kerala, Vol. I, Govt. of Kerala ,1999