Internal Quality Assurance Cell
In order to fulfill the vision of NAAC, Henry Baker College, mainly gives importance to quality assurance and enhancement. The prime responsibility of IQAC is to initiate, plan and direct various programmes that are necessary to increase the quality of education. In this context, to realize the goals of quality enhancement, the resources of the institution have been directed towards this route and quality sustenance has been maintained in a well equipped and systematic manner.
In pursuance of its Action Plan for performance evaluation, assessment, accreditation and quality up gradation of institution of higher education, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), proposes the establishment of an Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) for every institution of higher learning undergoing the process of accreditation as a quality system measure; accordingly, our IQAC is the part and parcel of the institution.
In order to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the performance of the institution, the IQAC has contributed a lion’s share in the post accreditation phase. In the post accreditation phase, the IQAC has channelized the resources of the institution towards academic excellence. As a pursuit to excellence since 2017, the institution adopted two sustenance initiatives viz. ‘Annual Health Checkup cum Blood Donation Campaign’ and ‘Weather Monitoring System’ for the people residing in hill stations.
IQAC of the institution conducts periodical meetings regularly by ensuring the participation of all the stakeholders and makes policies, procedures and guidelines for the functioning of various committees, clubs and cells and interacts systematically with these units and collects the feedback. Further, it also creates online channels of communication for information dissemination and quality assurance.
As part of holistic development of the institution, IQAC also considers student employability (ability of the student in doing the job) and student employment (having a full or part-time job while going to college as a full-time student) as a matter of great concern. By taking into account the educated unemployment rates at present, the IQAC aims to equip each outgoing student with special skills to meet the societal challenges. To achieve this objective, a foreground service titled ‘3 Tier Quality Assurance Programme’ was initiated to inculcate in them a strong foundation of long term persistence and effort, the necessity of being student friends transforming as teachers and guides in times of needs. The factors like, to talk to one’s peers, seeking help from peers without hesitation, understanding of who I’m and who I’m not, how to let things go, and to control one’s surroundings, will further inculcate in them motivation and readiness in life.
From the academic year 2018-19 onwards, the record keeping and maintenance cell of the institution has initiated a publishing, an annual Newsletter – ‘Chronicle’ which reflects the achievements of the institution in the preceding academic year.'
- Fixing quality standards, benchmarks and criteria for all the activities of the institution to adapt teaching learning environment to the needs of each student in the transition from teacher centered instruction to the creation of pupil-centered interactive educational pedagogy.
- Acting as a nodal agency for the adoption and dissemination of best practices.
- Preparation of SSR as per the norms to be submitted to NAAC.
- Fostering global competencies among students by initiating them to undertake online graduate/ postgraduate courses through NPTEL SWAYAM, edX, Coursera, etc.
- Encouraging self-evaluation and accountability by means of self-appraisals.
- Facilitating periodic assessment through the conduct of Academic, Administrative and Green Audit.
- To stimulate outreach programmes curricular and co-curricular activities that will instill a social commitment.
- As a prerequisite of progress, giving suggestions to higher authorities for enhancing infrastructural resources of the institution.
- Collection and analysis of feedback responses from all the stakeholders including students and parents. The data collected is analyzed using SPSS and invite suggestions to improve academic activities.
- Dissemination of information based on quality parameters of Higher education.
- Organization of FDPs, workshops and seminars for the holistic development of the students and faculties.
- Documentation of programmes for quality improvement: Acting as Documentation and Record-Keeping Cell of the institution for assuring, enhancing and sustaining quality and assisting to develop API Criteria based PBAS (a separate template developed by IQAC using the pro forma of the UGC). In order to fulfill these criteria all teachers shall submit the duly filled-in PBAS pro forma to the IQAC annually.
- Inculcating an attitude of relevant and quality academic research programs among faculties and students. To attain this, faculties shall publish in peer reviewed journals and students shall be assigned dissertation/research/theses report submission.
- Sharing of research findings and networking with other institutions in India and abroad.
- Equitable access and affordability of academic programmes for all sections of the society.
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning and promoting the use of technology based education.
- Ensuring the credibility of assessment and evaluation process.
- Timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks.
- Optimum integration of modern methods of teaching, learning and evaluation.
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support system, structure and services and the availability of liquid resources in due time for the smooth functioning of the institution.
- Developing an effective feedback system incorporating all the relevant stakeholders.
- To provide a sound decision-making platform to improve efficiency and effectiveness in decision.
- To provide and facilitate uninterrupted and competent interpersonal communication channels.
- Ensure at most clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement
- Facilitate internalization of the quality culture and standards
- To act as agents of change and reform
- Integration of various activities of the institution and institutionalize good practices