The College has a democratically elected Student Union which looks after student welfare through its various programmes. The College Students Union is empowered to promote and facilitate student activities of the campus. College union facilitate students to engage themselves effectively in co-curricular and extra- curricular activities of the college and provides opportunities for training as good citizens. The major activities of the union include organizing of debates, discussions and talks on relevant issues involving local leaders, ministers and people from the literary field, Arts Fest of two days that give opportunities to students to express their talents, film fest and the College Day. Principal, Staff Advisor and other faculty members assist students in the holding of competitions. College union receives funds for its various programmes from the donations from students and faculty as well as from the PTA.
The election to the college union will be conducted on the Parliamentary Mode as per para 6.2.4 of the J.M. Lyngdoh Commission Report and order passed by the Honourable Supreme Court of India in SLP No. 24295/2004. The college union will have a students’ general council and an executive. All students are members of the students’ general council. In order to conduct election to the executive council, an electoral council consisting of two elected representatives from each class will be formed. The Electoral council will elect the executive committee consisting of the following office bearers: the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, General Secretary, University Union Councillors, Magazine Editor and the Arts Club Secretary. There shall be a Secretary of sports who will be nominated by the committee consisting of the Principal, The Head of the Dept. of Physical Education and the Staff Advisor of the students’ council. An SC/ST representative also will be nominated, if there is no SC/ ST among those elected to the executive. One member representing the students of each degree and P.G. classes elected by and from among the student representatives of the respective years in the electoral council will also represent in the executive council. Two Lady representatives will also be there elected by and from among the lady representatives in the students general council. The candidates contesting to the electoral council should possess a
minimum of 75% attendance in the previous year (except in the case of first year students) and should have passed all the examinations held so far. Those who were granted condonation of attendance in the previous year are not eligible to contest in the election. Similarly, anyone against whom disciplinary action of any kind has been taken (inside or outside the campus, civil or criminal) ipso facto stands debarred from contesting elections to electoral council. Students are forbidden to contest in the Union election on the label of student organizations. The Principal is the ex-officio Treasurer and patron of the College Union. Expenses for the activities of the college union require prior sanction of the Principal and the College Union Staff Advisor.
Objectives of HBC Students Union
- To promote social and cultural life of the students and to train them in the duties and rights of citizenship;
- To provide opportunities for the comprehensive and integral development of students.
- To develop a democratic, secular, scientific and socialist outlook and the spirit of service among students;
- To organize activities of clubs and forums as it would enhance knowledge, character and efficiency of students;
- To organize arts festivals to promote and develop the artistic talents of students;
- To organize sports and games competitions to develop a spirit of sportsmanship;
- To organize celebrations of local and national days to develop a spirit of patriotism among the students.
- To encourage other activities keeping with the aims of the Union.
- To train the students of the college in the parliamentary democracy so that they may be responsible future citizens of India, aware of their duties, responsibilities and rights.
- To promote opportunities for the development of character, leadership, efficiency and spirit of service among students.
- To organize debates, seminars, work squads, touring parties so that the students may acquire knowledge on current topics and develop a deep thinking about them.
- To encourage extracurricular activities that are conducive to the above objectives.