Motto “Helping People is Chasing Life”
Youth Red Cross unit is active in Henry Baker College since 1990. From the beginning, YRC unit of the college is working in collaboration with Indian Red Cross Society, Kottayam. HBCYRC is a helping hand to the needy, in and around the college.YRC promotes humanitarian principles and values among students.
Activities of our unit are,
- Visiting orphanages and old age homes, celebrating Christmas and New year with the aged.
- Providing clothes and study materials to the needy.
- Conducting awareness programmes, supporting charitable institutions in fundraising through the sale of stamps.
- Providing medical aid to students and outsiders.
- A Rupee Day programme is initiated to raise the funds.
YRC meetings are conducted regularly on alternate Tuesdays. Activities are discussed and decisions are taken in these meetings.First Director of YRC was Prof. Sebastian Joseph, Dept. of English. After his retirement, Dr. Beena Paul took charge of YRC. Dr. Jincy Devasia, HOD, Dept. of Physics is working as co-director.
Regular YRC meetings and activities are conducted with an outcome for providing charity and support to the needy. Creating awareness aong students for taking care of the poor and destitute in and around the vicinity. They are fine tuned to cater the needs of the society.
Objectives of YRC
The main purpose of organizing the Youth Red Cross is
- To inculcate in the youth of our country
- an awareness on the care of their own health and that of others
- the understanding and acceptance of civic responsibilities and acting accordingly with humanitarian concern, to fulfil the same.
- To enable the growth and development of a spirit of service and sense of duty with dedication and devotion in the minds of youth.
- To foster a better friendly relationship with all without any discrimination
Principles of YRC
Youth Red Cross has the following three principles
- Protection of health and life.
- Service to the sick and suffering.
- Promotion of National and International friendship.
The objectives of Youth Red Cross shall be to train the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross among the zealous youth, so that they may remain imperturbable, unwearying, and unfaltering. And to develop the elements of quiet self-sacrifice when disasters strike humanity. Keeping this in view the YRC shall endeavour as follows:
- Promotion of potentialities of the Youth to enable them to render skilled philanthropic service toned up by a sense of self-sacrifice, for the mitigation of suffering of the needy and the distressed.
- Promotion of health, hygiene and sanitation and cognate subjects among the members of the community for prevention of diseases and mitigation of suffering.
- Promotion of motivations among the youth for fostering friendship and fraternity(the spirit of "Tuttifratelli") at the national and international level.
- Promotion of qualities of leadership and traits of personality among the youth.
- Promotion of spirit of self-reliance and dignity of labour among the youth.
- Promotion of training in various skills to render qualified service to the needy.
- Promotion of factors which may contribute to the establishment of peace at the national and international level.
Dr. Beena Paul
Associate Professor (HOD)
Dr. Jincy Devasia
Assistant Professor (HOD)
Mr. Jithin Johnson
Ms. Dona Joseph