Certificate courses are designed to bridge the gap between different phases of academic study, or to provide additional professional training and qualifications. The courses provide students an added dimension to their undergraduate and postgraduate degree by exposing them to professional settings. The purpose of the certificate course is to provide students with theoretical knowledge and practical knowledge in specific areas. Upon completion, students will get benefit out of a certificate course that will accompany their degree and illustrate their added knowledge, skills, and experience to potential employers and institutions.
Certificate programme in History is designed with 30 instructional hours. It includes Lecture hours and practical hours. On completion certificates are issued by college or outside agencies in collaboration with college.
- Will gain additional skill in a particular area.
- Will equip the student with an additional qualification.
- Will enhance demand in the job market.
- To understand the nature of archival documents, as recorded information, and the institutions responsible for preserving them.
- To understand the principles of archival science
- To Explore methods of retrieving information from archival records, bearing in mind their organization and preservation
- To examine the impact of digital technology on archival management and outreach initiatives
This course is mainly targeted to Post Graduate students in order to attain the knowledge about the Archival sources, which will help them for their advance research in M.Phil and Ph.D. The unexplored primary sources dumped in the different archives across the world will help the scholars to interpret the historical facts and add the new facts to existing historical knowledge.
MODULE I: (6 hrs)
INTRODUCTION TO ARCHIVES
- Definition of Archives and its meaning
- General introduction to Archives
- Document,Record and Archives
- Characteristics of Archives
- Value of Archives
- Archives,Library and Museum
- National Archives of India
- Tamil Nadu State Archives
- Kerala State Archives.
MODULE-II: (5 hrs)
- Introduction to Record management
- Types of Records Filing System
- Creation,Closing and Recording of Files
- Retention Schedule
- Reviewing of files and Appraisal of File.
MODULE-III: (6 hrs)
- Introduction to conservation
- Archival Conservation
- Principles of conservation
- Restorative techniques
- Flattening and Crease Removal of Documents
- Removal of Stains
- Tissue Repair
- Full pasting
- Other Repairs.
MODULE-IV: (5 hrs)
ARCHIVES IN THE DIGITAL AGE
- Moving image Archiving and preservation sound archives-microfilm-microfiche-oral history archives
- The management of primary sources in the digital age-online archives-web archiving.
PRACTICAL : (8 hrs)
- Visit to Regional Archives of Cochin.
- Dr.Gregory Hunter,Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives, II Edition,Neill Schuman Publishers, New York,2003
- P.S.G.Kumar,Archival Librarianship,B R Publishing Corporation,Delhi,2008
- EaswaranPuthiyillam,A Handbook on Archival Studies,Centre for Heritage Studies Hill Palace, Cochin,2011
- Dr.R.IssacJayadhas, Archives Keeping,Nagercoil,2012
- Basu,P. Records and the public,National Archives of India,New Delhi,1995