Physical Health and Life Skill Education
- Course Code: - PE5OPT01
- Number of Credit:-3 | Number of contact hours:-72
The course creates consciousness among the students towards health, fitness and wellness and in developing and maintaining a healthy life style. Also, introduce the fundamental concepts of physical education.
Aim of the course
‘’The course is intended to familiarize the students towards the concepts of health and Physical education and the relative contribution of physical education and sports for the life skills development”
Objectives of the Course
- To provide an awareness about the scientific basis and benefits of Physical activity
- To impart knowledge about health, nutrition & First Aid measures.
- To introduce the fundamentals of Health & Physical Fitness
- To enable the students to lead a healthy lifestyle
- To provide basic knowledge about various sports & Games activities and their influence in the society.
Title With Course Code
Hours Per Week
Physical Health and Life Skill Education
Course code – PE5OPT01
Module 1. -- (20 Hours)
Introduction to Physical Education & Physical Fitness
- Concept of Physical Education
- Aims and Objective of Physical Education
- Need and Importance of Physical Education
- Physical Fitness Components
Types of Fitness
- Health related
- Skill/Performance related
- Activities for the development of physical fitness (Aerobic and Anaerobic).
Module 2 -- (20 Hours)
Health & Nutrition-Definition and meaning of Health
- Dimensions of Health
- Factors affecting Health
- Major systems in human body ( Circulatory, Respiratory, Muscular and Skeleton Systems)
- Effects of Exercise on Body Systems ( Circulatory, Respiratory, Muscular and Skeleton Systems)
Classification of nutrients
- Minerals and vitamin
- Balanced diet
- Dietary guidelines for healthy eating
- Kinetic Diseases and their common causes
- Prevention and management ( Obesity, Diabetics & Hypertension, Osteoporosis), BMI.
Module.3 -- (16 hours)
Human Body Type First Aid & Yoga
- Human body type(Ectomorph, Endomorph, Mesomorph)
- Importance of correct posture
- Postural deformities(Kyphosis, Lordosis, Scoliosis, Knock knee,Bow legs,Flat foot, Text neck)
- Causes and corrective exercises.
- Meaning definition andimportance
- Principles of First Aid
- Common injuries
- Emergencies and their management (Sprain, Strain, Fracture, Dislocation, Wound, Cuts, Drowning, CPR)
- Definition of Yoga
- Need and importance of Yoga in the modern society
- Benefits and effects of Asanas
- Surya Namaskar.
Module.4 – (16 Hours)
Introduction to Sports & Games, Events and Awards
- International- Olympic Games(winter, summer, Paralympics)
- Asian Games
- Common Wealth Games
- National- National Games
- Santhosh Trophy
- Ranji Trophy.
- Rajiv Gandhi KhelRethna Award
- Arjuna Award and G.V Raja Award
- Type of Tournament (Knock Out &League)
- AAPHERD, Health related physical fitness test manual, Published by Association drive Reston Virginia:1980.
- ACSM fitness book, Leisure Press Campaign, Illinoisis, Leisure Press, Canada: 1996.http://www.pitt.edu/gsphhome
- Alice. C, Yoga for Sports. Chicago : CB :2002.
- B.C. Rai, Health education and hygiene, published by Prakashan Kendra, Lucknow.
- Birch, MacLaren, George, Sports and exercise physiology-instant notes, UK:BIOS scientific Publishers:2005.
- Corbin, Charles B et al, Concepts of fitness and wellness, Boston; McGraw Hill:2004.
- Fahey, Insel, Roth, Fit and well, 6th Ed. Boston; McGraw Hill Co : 2004.
- Fashey et al, Fit and well, New york ;McGrawHillInc: 2005.
- Frank, AM,Sports and Education,CA ;ABC-CLIO : 2003.
- Greenberg, Dintiman, Oakes,Physical fitness and wellness, 3rd Ed. IL ; Human Kinetics:2004.
- Iyengar, BKS, Light on yoga, Yoga Dipika,London ; UNWIN Paperbacks : 1980.
- Jackson Sharman, Modern Principles of Physical Education, New York ;A.A. Barnes and Co.
- Kamlesh, ML, Physical education facts and foundation, New Delhi ; P.B Publication : 1998.
- Lussier and Kimball, Sports management-Principles, application, skill development,Ohio ;Thomson-South Western : 2004.
- Michael, H,Sports injuries recognition and management, 3rd Ed. ;Oxford University press: 2001.
- Norman Bezzant, Help! First aid for everyday emergencies ;Jaico Publishing House, Bombay.
- Puri, K Chandra,Health and Physical Education, New Delhi ;Surjeet Publications : 2006.
- Rob, James et al, Complete A-Z Physical Education Handbook, 2ndEd ; Hodder and Stoughton England : 2003.
- Tiwari, OP,Asanas why and how?,Lonavala:Kaivalayadham : 2002.
- Uppal, AK, Principles of sports training, New Delhi ;Friends Publication : 2001.
- Ziegler, EF, An Introduction to sports and Physical Education Philosophy,Delhi;Sp.Educational Technology : 2007.
- Goel, RG and Goel, Gaurav, Encyclopaedia of sports and games, 12th Ed.; Tarang paperbacks-Vikas publishing house PVT LTD, New Delhi: 1995.