An Electoral Literacy Club is a platform to engage college students through interesting activities and hands-on experience to sensitise them on their electoral rights and familiarise them with the electoral process of registration and voting. ELCs are also present in schools and rural communities.
At ELCs, learning meets fun. Activities and Games are designed to stimulate and motivate students, provoking them to think and ask questions. Through ELC, Election Commission of India, aims at strengthening the culture of electoral participation among young and future voters.
The primary objective of the club is sensitizing student community about democratic rights which includes casting votes in elections. We conduct mock polling activity to give the experience based learning of the democratic setup. We also conduct cartoon drawing, debates, mock parliaments, elocution, essay writing and other programmes which create an awareness regarding electoral procedures.
Originating in integrated civic and voter education and electoral participation right to make its utmost contribution to have an active democratic citizenry from a young age.
- To educate the targeted populations about voter registration, electoral process and related matters through hands on experience
- To familiarize the targeted populations with EVM and VVPAT and to educate them about robustness of EVM and integrity of the electoral process using EVMs
- To help the target audience understand the value of their vote to ensure that they exercise their suffrage right in a confident, comfortable and ethical manner
- To harness the potential of ELC members for carrying the electoral literacy in communities
- To facilitate voter registration for its eligible members who are not yet registered
- To develop a culture of electoral participation and maximize the informed and ethical voting and follow the principle ‘Every vote counts’ and ‘No Voter to be Left Behind’